The licensee portal
The REA licensee portal lets you quickly and easily manage your licence online.
Using the licensee portal
You can use the licensee portal with your RealMe login to apply for a licence, renew or suspend your licence and view and update your details.
You can also find copies of your invoices, evidence of your licence and other licensing documents on the portal.
The licensee portal cannot be used to revive or surrender a licence — this can be done using a manual form.
Download the revive your licence form
Download the surrender your licence form
What is RealMe?
RealMe is a government-wide identification service. RealMe allows you to access multiple online services with one username and password, and securely prove who you are online. RealMe is managed by the Department of Internal Affairs.
What you will need to provide the first time you log in
If you already have a licence and are renewing your licence
- A RealMe log in — if you don’t already have a RealMe login, you will be asked to create a RealMe username and password when you first log in to the licensee portal. You can apply on the RealMe website.
- Your licence number — if you don't know your licence number, you can check it on the public register here.
- Your REA reference number — this will be in email communications to your from REA.
- Your first and last names.
- Your date of birth.
If you're new to REA
A RealMe log in — if you don’t already have a RealMe login, you will be asked to create a RealMe username and password when you first log in to the licensee portal.
- A photo of yourself.
- Your New Zealand driver licence.
- A copy of your New Zealand passport — scan the photo page. If it's an overseas passport you will need to provide a certified copy.
- Personal and contact details — you’ll be asked for your name, address, contact information and identification details.
After logging in the first time
Licensee portal help
I forgot my password
If you’ve forgotten your password, use the “forgot password” link on the licensee portal login page.
You’ll need to enter your username and an email address associated with that username. Alternatively, you can click on "Reset password by TXT instead" and enter your username and associated mobile number.
Then click the "Next prove you're really you" button. You'll be asked for your Secret PIN (if you have one) or the answers to your security questions.
Once you have completed the security check, you will be emailed a one-use password you can use to log in. You will then be prompted to update the password to one of your own choosing.
I forgot my username
If you’ve forgotten your username, use the “forgot username” link on the licensee portal login page.
You’ll need to enter an email address associated with your username. Alternatively, you can click on "Get username by TXT instead" and enter a mobile number.
Click the "Get my username" button and RealMe will send you an email or text.
Still can't log in?
If you are still having trouble with your RealMe username and/or password, please contact RealMe on 0800 664 774.
I'm getting an error message
If you receive a message that says, ‘Oops something is wrong’, please give us a call — this could be because:
- you are using a different RealMe account from the last time you logged in
- you may have used you RealMe login before, but not in the REA licensee portal.
Phone: 0800 367 7322
How useful is this page?